Patient Information: Choosing a Doctor
The physicians of Scarsdale Medical Group believe in the philosophy of preventive medicine and their goal is keep you and your family healthy.
If you belong to an HMO (Health Maintenance Organization), your health plan will request you select a primary care physician (PCP). Your PCP will see you for routine well care and when you are sick. They will also coordinate any specialty services should you require them.
What to consider when selecting a physician
Selecting a doctor is an important aspect of keeping healthy. Regardless of your insurance, you may want to consider the following when choosing a physician:
- Choose a physician who is interested in knowing not only about your current medical needs, but also your health history and the medical history of your family.
- Your physician will need complete and honest information from you in order to help you. Choose a doctor that you are comfortable with and that you have confidence in.
- Look for a doctor who is willing to take the time to explain tests, procedures, treatments and implications of your illness to you.
- Choose a doctor who will answer your questions in a language you can understand.
- You may want to consider the doctor’s medical training including subspecialties, special training, or areas of interest.